Sunday, July 3, 2011

TATTOOED


Just recently I had my sixth and seventh tattoo. Yes, I have a lot. I started to become fascinated with tattoos when I was still in high school. I remember how hot henna was at that time. We even bought those small sachets of Bigen hair color which served as the ink for our henna session. But then, I told myself I wouldn’t have one until I graduate from college. And so I did. And it all started there.


I was hanging out in a coffee shop in Makati area that time after a lazy day I spent in the hospital for a check up a week after I got hospitalized. So, I was with my Iranian friend who’s ever supportive of my tattoo plans. He said there’s this shop he knows and he can accompany me to go there. So, as a person who agrees easily, we went to that place and began drinking two bottles of Red Horse. Talk about the anxiousness that night.


Damn, I panicked when I saw the artist preparing his paraphernalia for the main event. It was way crazier than I expected. The needle, the light, chair, gloves, tissue, cotton, petroleum jelly, etc. The preparation itself made me just want to bring my ass out from that studio from hell. I thought I was about to be cut in two. Anyway, I told myself, I was already there. And I’m willing to face my fear. For my first one, I chose a heart with wings on it and with a sash on my right upper back. Stupid, eh? I don’t even know why I decided to put a ribbon on it. Maybe I was still naive about designs and stuff that’s why I wasn’t really sure what I really like to put that time. It went successful indeed. I liked it. After 2 hours of excruciating pain, it paid off. After two days, my mom saw it and as usual, she began to rant at me whole day and night.


After a year and a half, I decided to add more. I missed the needle. As they say, after having inked, you will definitely return for more. I was working in a call center and I knew a guy who knows how to to put tattoos. Though he’s not a certified artist yet, I trusted him and agreed to have my second piece. In fact, he offered it for free. Lucky m! It was an alibata scripture on my right lower arm. I wanted to have something in my body that will say I’m a proud Filipino. The scripture means “Filipino.” A four word syllable that you will not understand unless you are fond of history. It was quite plain. But a lot of my friends liked it when it was done.


Down with the third now, actually I had my third and fourth on the same day, by the same artist who was then friend of my ex. It was a scorpion symbol on my left lower arm and a lotus flower on my left lower leg. I chose that scorpion design because obviously it’s my zodiac sign, and the lotus, because my ex has it on his arm. I just liked how it looked and unlike the traditional rose which most girls put on their bodies, I preferred doing the lotus. It isn’t done yet, actually. The colors I planned for it isn’t there yet. But I’m planning to finish it maybe after a month or so.


Then came my fifth. “Vivere Senza Rimpianti” on my lower nape. An Italian phrase which means to live without regrets. I chose this because I like the meaning. It suits me well because of the many hardships I had in my life. Those previous experiences that made me stronger. And I don’t regret making any of them simply because it changed me for the better. It was a big one and it did hurt a lot. But all was worth it when I saw the outcome.

Now, I had my latest and probably my last. I had it last week and I planned for it for a year. الإرادة مفتاح للقوة It is an Arabic writing which means “The will is the key to strength.” It was translated by a friend. I actually got the inspiration of this from actress, Angelina Jolie who also has a tattoo in the same language. I decided to put it on my left shoulder and the seventh is a musical note just under my right lower ear, just underneath the lobe so it would look discreet. It’s very interesting since it is the smallest yet the most painful one so far.

Now, I have seven all in all, and I think this is already enough since I originally planned to have seven since it is my favorite number. And if someone will ask how come I have a lot of tattoos, I will just simply say that this is something I want and won’t regret for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment